All Terminus Ad Experiences customers have access to this feature. In order to view data in this report, you must have the Visitor ID tracking script installed on your website. In order to view “Intent Topics” in this report, you must also have your Bombora intent topics configured in Data Studio.
You may notice that certain accounts are listed more than once in this report, this is because you have the parents or child accounts listed multiple times in your CRM. This will be remedied in the June 2022 release. In this instance, you want to use the account with the highest total activities, as that is the most up-to-date record.
Article quick links:
The Site Engagements report, powered by Terminus’s Visitor ID web tracking script, gives customers visibility into how their account-based programs are driving meaningful engagement on their website. With Site Engagements, customers are able to:
- See an aggregated view of all web activity from their visiting accounts within a specified reporting period, including site visits, form fills, video plays, downloads, chat conversations, and specific page views
- Filter their website traffic by target accounts (accounts in your Terminus Data Studio instance), or a “net new” accounts
- Understand what percentage of their Terminus-tracked website activity is coming from non-human (ISPs, bots, fraud, etc.) traffic sources
The Site Engagements report is accessible via the Ad Experiences product, from the Site Engagements tab in the primary navigation.
NOTE: Terminus customers that previously had access to the Site Visits page can navigate back to the legacy view by selecting the “Go to Site Visits” button in the top right corner of the application.
The default view for the Site Engagements report will be the Overview tab.
Adjusting the date range filter at the top of the page will reflect web activity that occurred within the selected time frame.
Just below the date range filter, there will be several summary metrics for your web activity. These will include:
- Accounts: Identified accounts that visited your website in the selected time range. “Identified” accounts will have activity that can be attributed to a real web user, (via our Visitor ID tracking script), and to a specific account.
- Form Fills: The number of form fills on your website by visitors on tracked pages. The form must contain an email address field, at minimum, to be counted.
- Video Plays: The number of video plays that a visitor initiated on a tracked page. “Video play” events are captured when a video is started, and are currently supported by YouTube, Vimeo, Vidyard, and HTML5.
- Chat Conversations: The number of Terminus chat conversations that were initiated by visitors (i.e., visitors that interacted with a Terminus chatbot). This metric will only show for Terminus customers that have access to Chat Experiences as part of their subscription.
- Downloads: The total number of content downloads on tracked pages. This will be detected by link clicks that contain .PDF in the URL.
- Ad Impressions: The number of Terminus ad impressions served to identified accounts in the reporting period.
To learn more about how this activity is captured, please reference this article.
Below the summary metrics is the engagement graph. The graph will display total site visits against total Terminus ad impressions served to identified accounts in the reporting timeframe. Hovering over the line graph will show exact data points (visits and impressions) on the given date.
Note: There are two separate scales on the Y-axis for visits and impressions.
Below the graph will be three charts to indicate recent and top activity in your visiting accounts. These include:
- Top Accounts By Activity: This chart will display the top 5 accounts with the most web activity events (visits, form fills, video plays, chat conversations, and downloads) in the reporting period
- Recent Form Fills: This chart will display 5 accounts with the most recent form fill submissions in the reporting period
- Top 5 Intent Topics: This chart will display the top 5 tracked intent topics with the highest number of surges (by count) from accounts in your Terminus Data Studio instance, within the reporting period. Customers will need to have their Bombora intent topics configured in Data Studio to see this data.
Note: At this time, users are not able to click into these charts to see further details. The Account View tab, however, will provide additional information, including a breakdown of web activity events by account.
The final components of the Overview page are the Traffic Overview and Key Engagements donut charts.
- The Traffic Overview chart will provide a breakdown of identified traffic (activity from a real web user, that can also be attributed to a specific account), and non-human traffic that our script has detected on your site.
Non-human traffic can appear on the same corporate networks as human traffic. This traffic consists of visits from sources like Media Verification, SEO bots, and other non-human scripts. We surface this information so our customers have a more clear picture of what data is being excluded from your reporting, and to also help explain potential discrepancies in traffic volume across your web analytics tools.
The value in the center of the Traffic Overview chart will represent the total number of visits (from both identified accounts and non-human traffic sources) in the reporting period.
NOTE: While we do surface non-human traffic volume in the Traffic Overview chart, activity attributed to non-human traffic sources will be excluded from all other areas of the Site Engagements report.
Feature Note: Terminus’s Approach to NHT / Fraud
Site Engagements is reporting on all traffic coming to your site, including direct and/or influenced traffic from your Terminus advertising campaigns
Further information on the steps Terminus takes to reduce the amount of fraud / NHT to your site from our advertising can be found in this article [NOTE: You will need to sign in in order to view the article]
- This Key Engagements chart will show a breakdown of website activity events in the reporting period. The breakdown will include:
- Video Plays
- Form Fills
- Chat Conversations (for customers that have access to Terminus Chat)
The second tab on the Site Engagements report is the Account View tab. Here, users can see a detailed view of website activity at the account level.
In addition to the date range filters, this section of the report will also include filters for:
- Searching for specific accounts. By default, the table will show “All Accounts,” but selecting the drop down for this filter will reveal a search bar.
- Filtering by account type. This will default to “All Accounts,” but users can also select to only view “Data Studio Accounts” (identified accounts in their instance of Data Studio), or “Net New Accounts” (identified accounts that were NOT found in their instance of Data Studio). The Net New Accounts filter can be used to identify accounts that are engaging with your brand, but may not be on sales or marketing’s radar yet.
- Filter by number of ad impressions served. By default, any identified account (regardless of whether they’ve seen impressions) that has engaged on the website in the reporting period will be included in the Account table. By adjusting the filter, users can view activity from accounts that have seen at least one ad impression, or by accounts that have not seen any ad impressions. This filter can be used to better understand the impact that Terminus advertising is having on web traffic and web activity.
In the account table, users can view additional account-level information, including:
- Last Visit: The most recent visit date from the account, within the reporting period
- Ad Impressions: Total number of ad impressions served to the account, within the reporting period
- Total Visits: Total visits from the account, within the reporting period
- Unique Views: Total number of unique page views from visitors at the account, within the reporting period
- Form Fills: Total number of form fills from visitors at the account, within the reporting period
- Total Activities: Number of total web activity (Form Fills, Video Plays, Chat Conversations, Downloads, Ad Impressions) events from the account, within the reporting period
Clicking the drop down next to an account name will reveal a secondary table, which will include a breakout of web activity by day for the selected reporting time frame. The data columns will include:
- The date the visit occurred
- The URL of the page/pages that was/were viewed
- The domain of the page/pages that was/were viewed
- The approximate location of the visitor (based on reverse IP address lookup)
- Total pages viewed that day
- Total unique page views that day
- Total form fills that day
- Total activities that day
The information in the primary data table view can also be exported via CSV download. The export will be appended with firmographic data, including:
- Employee range
- Revenue range
- NAICS code
- and NAISC description
Firmographic data will only be added to accounts that are not already in your Data Studio instance (Net New Accounts). Data in the secondary dropdown can also be exported via CSV.
How does Site Engagements compare to the data I get from Google Analytics?
There are a few things to note when comparing data in Google Analytics with Terminus Site Engagements:
- Google Analytics will not be able to show:
- Website activity at the account level
- Intent data
- An overlay of ad impressions against website visits
- Google Analytics will also capture non-human traffic. To exclude bot or non-human traffic from GA, however, you would have to create a custom segment. Terminus automatically excludes non-human traffic from our Site Engagements report. As a result, you may see higher overall traffic numbers in a tool like Google Analytics, vs. in Terminus, for the same reporting time frame.
Will form fills that occur on a pop-up window also be able to be captured?
- Yes, if the form exists on a modal that is still on the page tagged with the Visitor ID script, we will be able to capture these types of form fills.
Is an email address alone enough to capture a “form fill” event?
- Yes; when a visitor fills out a form field on a web page, we’ll look for what someone input into that field to confirm that it looks like an email address.
How does the Site Engagements report compare to Terminus’s Digital Attribution feature?
- The Site Engagements report is designed to tell you which accounts are engaging on your website, and what type of events (form fills, video plays, visits, downloads, etc.) are happening on your site. Digital Attribution is designed to tell you how people are finding your content, and what sources/channels are driving people to the website, and influencing actions like conversions
Where can I view the “Potential Account Visits” view that was previously available with “Site Visits”?
- Filtering by “Net New Accounts” on the Account View page will show you visiting accounts that are not in your CRM, like the previous “Potential Account Visits” view.
Will the Site Engagements report capture traffic from visitors in GDPR / CCPA areas?
- The Visitor ID tracking script can be implemented alongside consent management software that Terminus customers may be running on their websites. The script will only capture visitor information once consent has been given.
How far back will I be able to see activity like form fills, video plays, downloads, and chat conversations?
- Website activity will be recorded from the time the Visitor ID tracking script is placed on your website.
- If you previously had the Visitor ID script installed on your site, the enhanced web activity events (form fills, video plays, downloads, and chat conversations) that were part of our October 2021 product release will not start tracking until the date the feature went live (10/27/21). Existing customers will not be required to re-implement Visitor ID in order to see these new activities in the Site Engagements report.
Please sign in to leave a comment.