In order to install this feature, you must have access to Digital Attribution as part of your Terminus subscription.
Article quick links:
- Overview of the Terminus Digital Attribution Script
- Implementation Best Practices for Digital Attribution
- Installing the Digital Attribution Script
- Tracking Ungated Web Touches
- Additional Snippet Configurations
- FAQs & Troubleshooting
Overview of the Terminus Digital Attribution Script
Ungated web touches can also be tracked by placing a separate tag on designated web pages to capture events like page views, button clicks, page scrolls, and video views.
During your Terminus onboarding period, our Technical Consultant team will work with you to review your configuration and setup. Assistance from a Web Administrator or Developer is recommended for implementation of the Digital Attribution tag. Additionally, a CRM or Marketing Automation Admin may also be required, to confirm UTM tracking and CRM campaign setup.
To learn more about Terminus’s Digital Attribution offering, check out the feature guide here.
Implementation Best Practices for Digital Attribution
Terminus Digital Attribution maps UTMs and Referring URLs to campaign members in your CRM. We surface these digital channels to better understand how offers perform across different channels, account segments, and other campaigns.
We recommend that Digital Attribution customers use these 3 parameters to answer these questions:
- utm_medium: What type of channel drove the engagement? (eg. PPC)
- utm_source: How did the lead get there? (eg. LinkedIn)
- utm_campaign: Why did the lead go there? (eg. ebook_top10tips)
If you need assistance with creating UTM parameters, we'd recommend using a tool like Google's Campaign URL Builder.
- The Digital Attribution script should be placed across all different pages, including installing on marketing automation platforms for tracking form fills on landing pages
- If forms are in an iframe, make sure the script is on the page AND inside the iframe
- Avoid tracking forms that aren’t tied to a CRM campaign (meaning a campaign member is created)
- We do not recommend that you track your your platform or client login page using the Digital Attribution tag
CRM Campaign Setup
- Make sure your Salesforce campaigns are individual call-to-actions
- You do not need to create campaigns for each UTM source
For additional recommendations, please see this best practice guide:
Installing the Terminus Digital Attribution Script
Adding the Digital Attribution Script to Your Web Pages
1. Find your unique Munchkin Tag on Settings > Digital Attribution
3. Be sure to alert your web developer to place the tag on:
- All website pages (including subdomains)
- All marketing content landing pages (e.g. Marketo templates)
- Your blog and any other site you maintain that draws customers and prospects
- iframes where forms exist
These external resources may also be useful:
- Google Tag Manager: How to Add a Custom HTML Tag
- Marketo: How to Add Custom Code to a Marketo Landing Page
- WordPress: How to add code to your WordPress Header and Footer
Verifying the Digital Attribution Script is On Your Website Pages
Often, a web developer will be asked to place the tag on the pages described above. Once you've verified that the tags have been installed, we'd recommend selecting a few web pages, landing pages, and blog pages to inspect. Here are the steps to verify the Digital Attribution script was installed properly:
- Go to each page
- Right-click or control-click
- Select “View Page Source”
- Hit Command-F to Search
- Search for “BrightFunnel Tracking”
- You’ll find the tracking code between the results of the search
*Note: Brightfunnel was acquired by Terminus in 2018
Tracking Ungated Web Touches
Users can utilize the Digital Attribution HTML tag to track events related to a visitor’s interaction with ungated content. Common use cases for ungated content tracking include:
- Tracking when a visitor has read a blog post, or viewed an ungated content page
- Tracking when a visitor has watched a video
- Tracking when a visitor has clicked a download button, or a link that initiates a download
- Tracking when a visitor has scrolled on a page
The Digital Attribution Ungated Content Tag
All ungated content is tracked using a custom HTML tag. Triggers can be specified on the tag that indicates when the prospect interaction with the ungated content should be deemed successful. For example, you want to specify that a blog post is an offer but the offer isn’t successful unless the user has scrolled down the page.
Place the tag anywhere on the page you want to mark as an ungated offer
Optionally You can choose to include “brightfunnel” as an attribute on an existing element
- <div brightfunnel></div>
Specify the trigger that indicates success:
- Scroll: When the tag is scrolled into the viewable area of the visitor
- <brightfunnel trigger="scroll"></brightfunnel>
- As an attribute:
- <div brightfunnel trigger="scroll"></div>
- Click: When the visitor clicks the tag or the content that the tag is surrounding
- <brightfunnel trigger="click"><!-- i.e. a download button here --></brightfunnel>
- As an attribute:
- <a brightfunnel trigger="click">my button</a>
Optionally specify the name of the content:
- If you don’t supply this attribute, Terminus Measurement Studio will use the name of the page as the content name:
- <brightfunnel trigger="scroll" content-name="My Blog Post Name"></brightfunnel>
- As an attribute:
- <div brightfunnel trigger="scroll" content-name="My Blog Post Name"></div>
Additional Snippet Configurations
The Munchkin Tag for Digital Attribution should be incorporated as a standard component of all of your website's pages. By default, the tag will capture conversions by registering these events as they happen on your website. However, due to varying implementations of forms across websites, there are instances where our tag will not properly capture the conversion, or we may need to adjust the way the Terminus snippet functions.
To Disable the XHR Sniffing of the Digital Attribution Script:
- Edit the Digital Attribution script to have the line of code "enableSniff = false," between the declaration of the bfId and bfSession variables. The final result should look like the code example below. Note: the bfId value is unique to your snippet, so please do not edit that value. A placeholder is used below
<!-- Digital Attribution Code -->
enableSniff = false,
bfSession = 0.041666666666666664;
var script = document.createElement('script');
script.async = true;
script.src = ('https:' === document.location.protocol ? 'https://' : 'http://' ) + 'munchkin.brightfunnel.com/js/build/bf-munchkin.min.js?tstamp=' + new Date().getTime();
var top = document.getElementsByTagName('script');
top.parentNode.insertBefore(script, top); })();
<!-- end Digital Attribution Code -->
To Manually Submit an Email Address to the Digital Attribution Script:
- Terminus can also collect form submissions through the use of a manual function
terminusTracker.emailCollect('myuniqueformid', 'firstname.lastname@example.org')Parameter 1 is a unique identifier for the form given by the developer. This parameter should be unique for the form that is being submitted. Terminus recommends using the corresponding campaign name or code for this parameter.
Parameter 2 is the email entered by the form user to be sent to our system.
An example implementation of the function which would submit the same email every time the button is clicked:
<button type="submit" form="form1" value="Submit" onclick="terminusTracker.emailCollect('myuniqueformid', 'email@example.com')">Submit</button>
FAQs & Troubleshooting
Digital Attribution Tag Implementation
How do I know the tag is working properly?
Please see this section in the installation article for instructions on how to verify the tag is working. Submit a ticket through the Terminus Support Portal if you are still having trouble with the above methods.
Where can I find my Digital Attribution script code?
- Go to Settings > Digital Attribution
- From there, you can access your Terminus Digital Attribution code
How long does it take to install the Digital Attribution script code?
Installation time can take minutes if you include the Digital Attribution script in a global header or footer of your website, which ensures that it’s on every page. Post-installation, our team will QA your setup and schedule a kickoff call to walk you through the data.
Do you support tag managers?
Can I implement your tag using Google Tag Manager?
Yes, our Digital Attribution script code can be installed through Google Tag Manager.
How long does Digital Attribution implementation take?
Implementation can take as little as a week and can be run in parallel with the core platform implementation.
Does your Digital Attribution script support forms in iframes?
Our Digital Attribution script supports forms in iframes if the iframe is the same domain or a subdomain as the page it’s on.
Do you support custom forms?
Our Digital Attribution script has a high success rate in capturing submitted forms of all types, including ajax.
Does your Digital Attribution script support cross-domain tracking?
The Digital Attribution script code can track prospects across subdomains as long as it’s included on the desired pages.
Does your Digital Attribution script support cross-device tracking?
Currently, we do not support cross-device tracking.
Can you track on-page events like a button click on the lower left of the home page?
Yes, you can tag that button so that when the button is clicked we track that as an attributable event in Terminus. See this section of this installation guide for more information.
How are multiple visits in the same session treated?
Sessions will expire after a configured session length unless an “offer” is tracked and submitted, which results in a new session for the lead.
Does the order and specific structure of our UTM or URL parameters matter?
No. We can map to whatever UTM and/or URL parameters you are using. You will need to use a consistent naming convention for all of your UTM parameters.
What if I am not using UTM parameters?
We will only capture the referrer URL and you will not be able to see the specific campaign data.
Digital Attribution & Data Capture
Do you leverage cookies?
Our Digital Attribution script code leverages cookies to track prospect activities over time.
How long is the data stored in the Terminus cookie?
Our cookies have a duration of one year.
Is this tracking code GDPR and CCPA compliant?
Terminus is fully GDPR and CCPA compliant. You can learn more here:
What is Terminus’s stance on PII?
What happens if someone deletes their cookies?
If an anonymous prospect deletes their cookies before they become known, Terminus will identify them as a new lead.
Not at this time.
What information does your Digital Attribution script capture?
We capture document information such as: page title, referring URL, URL/UTM parameters, and cookie information. We also capture form fill email data, video plays, and custom ungated events specified by the end-user.
Is Digital Attribution data written into Salesforce?
None of our digital attribution data will be stored in Salesforce. Being mindful of the negative impact that additional data will have on SFDC storage costs and maintenance, we choose to store this data elsewhere.
Digital Attribution Script Tag Performance
What is the average load time of your Digital Attribution script code?
Will this piece of code slow down my website?
The Terminus Digital Attribution script was designed to manage speed and complexity. It loads asynchronously with the current website and should not slow down the performance of your website.
Is your script Asynchronous or Synchronous?
Our script is Asynchronous.
Its size is subject to change as we add functionality, but as of version 1.09, it is 14.6 kilobytes.
What is the current session length?
The default session length is one hour.
No. Our script does not make any external API calls.
Digital Attribution and Marketing Automation
What marketing automation systems are supported?
Digital Attribution was designed so that it is not dependent on the marketing automation system to function. You can use Terminus Digital Attribution with any marketing automation system.
Why can’t I get this reporting in my Marketing Automation (e.g., Marketo) system?
Marketing automation systems are not purpose-built B2B marketing attribution systems. They have not evolved to support multi-touch attribution methods allowing for clarity in attributing all marketing touches to pipe and revenues.
Online data Marketing Automation Systems can only identify the digital channel that brought a lead to your website from the same session that a lead fills out the MAS form. Terminus will surface the true first touch, or true digital lead source (in reality, a lead may visit your website several times before filling out a form!).
How is your Digital Attribution script different than the Marketo munchkin?
Terminus captures more data than the Marketo munchkin, allowing marketers a greater level of visibility into prospect conversion. Marketo munchkin only tracks the first page a prospect visits and the page the prospect converts on and tracks a limited number of events on those pages. Terminus captures the first page a prospect visits, the page the prospects convert on, and every page between. Our Digital Attribution script's event tracking capabilities are also more extensive. We capture video plays and have the ability to track ungated content.
The Digital Attribution script is building an IP lookup database so that we can tell you the companies on your site that are remaining anonymous. We use the data from Marketo’s IP to company data to beef up our IP to company name reporting.
Does your Digital Attribution script support tracking Marketo landing pages?
Our Digital Attribution script code can be placed on Marketo landing page templates to capture forms.
Do you support Marketo forms?
Yes, as long as the Digital Attribution script code is present on the web page that contains the form.
What changes, if any, need to be made to Marketo to support Digital Attribution?
No configuration changes are needed within Marketo, however, landing pages that are managed directly in Marketo will require the Digital Attribution script code to be installed in the template/asset.
Still have a question? Submit a ticket through the Terminus Support Portal for more help!