Contextual Targeting Overview
Customization is critical to any great digital advertising campaign. Contextual targeting leverages a collection of keywords and phrases that scan ad site placements for textual content. This allows for your ads to be delivered across an infinite palette of content, and serve beside relevant browsing topics for your target audience.
Contextual targeting can be used to support a number of advertising strategies, including:
- Targeting accounts that are researching specific topics or solutions associated with your brand.
- Targeting accounts that are researching and reading content about competitors.
- Blocking your ads from serving on content with specific keywords or phrases.
Here’s an example of what a contextual targeting ad could look like below. As you can see, a Terminus ad was delivered when the term “Account-Based Marketing” was present within the content.
To use this feature, you must have “Contextual Targeting” as part of your Terminus Ad Experiences subscription. For more information regarding your current plan, please consult with your Customer Success Manager.
Tips & Best Practices
- Google Adwords is a great place to start pulling your keywords from. In most cases, you’re paying to surface on search for these keywords so they’re highly relevant to your brand.
- Another great source is Google Search Console. Search Console is great because it showcases terms people are searching for to hit your website. It can often be helpful in finding terms or phrases you would not have originally thought of.
- When using tools like AdWords or Search Console, utilize suggested related terms to improve reach and relevance
- Maximum character count for for keywords is 50 characters
- Avoid using phrases longer than three keywords
- Balance scale with relevance, and include very specific keywords along with supporting terms
- Using too many keywords may distort the context you're trying to reach too much; focus on the most relevant specific and supporting terms
Launching an Ad Campaign with Contextual Targeting
We are currently working to incorporate this feature directly into our platform interface. In the meantime, please use our support request form if you wish to launch an advertising tactic using contextual targeting, and select the following options:
- Download this excel template- Contextual Keyword List.xlsx to create your keyword list
- Request Type: Ad Experiences - Custom Campaign Targeting
- Custom Campaign Request: Add Contextual Targeting to a Campaign
- Upload a .CSV list of the keywords you wish to apply to the tactic. In the request, please also note which tactic(s) the titles should be applied to
Article is closed for comments.