To utilize Terminus Retargeting, you must first have the Visitor ID tracking script installed on any website pages you wish to retarget on.
Retargeting is an ad targeting strategy that allows you to serve ads to individuals that have visited your website. With this type of targeting, you can capitalize on active interest in your brand, and deliver highly personalized messages and offers based on the pages they’ve visited.
With Terminus's account-based retargeting offering, marketers can target visitors to specific URLs on their website, and layer on firmographic filters (such as industry or company size) and the individual’s characteristics (such as their department/function), to ensure you’re keeping your brand message in front of the right people.
- How to Launch and Archive a Retargeting Tactic with Ad Experiences
- Retargeting Best Practices
- Retargeting Tactic Reporting & Settings
Requesting & Implementing Your Retargeting Pixel
Terminus retargeting will be powered by our Visitor ID tracking script, which should be implemented before launching any retargeting tactics. If you have not implemented the Visitor ID script yet, please follow the steps provided here, and contact support through the Terminus Support Portal for any issues implementing the pixel.
In the event the Visitor ID script is not detected on a URL you are trying to retarget on, an error message will register in the tactic builder:
To confirm whether or not the Visitor ID script is running, please consult the troubleshooting steps in this article.
Selecting Your Retargeting URLs
For retargeting tactics, we'd recommend selecting website pages that are most likely to be visited by your targeted audiences (e.g. not your Careers page). For example, if you’re using audience filtering options for your retargeting tactics, you might select pages on your website that speak to those specific industries or personas. Selecting pages you're already tracking in your Engagement Spike models can also be a good starting point.
Additional things to note about URL selection for retargeting:
- The URLs you input must be from a whitelisted domain on your Ad Experiences account (per your Visitor ID setup)
- Wildcard URLs will be accepted, but only at the end of the URL (ex: terminus.com/products*)
- URLs can be added or removed from a tactic after it is launched
- Users can add up to 200 URLs per tactic
- You can search for existing URLs in a tactic, and the URL rule builder will tell you whether a URL that you input is a duplicate
Can we retarget visitors located outside of the US/Canada?
- Yes - as long as there is a consent management tool on your website, (the Terminus Visitor ID tracking script should be behind a setting to "ask for consent before firing"), visitors located outside of the Us / Canada can be retargeted.
Is there a minimum number of cookies that Terminus needs to identify in order for a retargeting ad to be displayed?
- No - there is no minimum cookie requirement. We will cookie any website visitor that lands on a page with a Terminus retargeting pixel (and that meets your demographic/firmographic parameters), and retarget them with Terminus ads.
Can I exclude visitors from my retargeting campaigns?
- Yes! Visitors can be excluded from your retargeting campaigns via domain. See the Exclusions section for more information.
Can I re-enable a tactic once it is archived?
- No, once a tactic is archived, it cannot be undone or cloned. A new tactic will need to be created.
My tactic isn't spending. Do you have any best practices for Display Retargeting?
- Yes, please see Retargeting Tactic Best Practices for more information.