Segments are a foundational element of any website personalization effort. Any visitor that is being served a personalized experience needs to be part of a targeted segment within the platform.
Terminus web personalization provides users with the ability to create segments built on:
- Terminus advertising audiences built using Enhanced Audience Segmentation
- Terminus firmographic data
- Campaign UTMs
- Visitor URL / All Visitors
These condition types can be used independently or together to define the segments that will be used for identifying visitors and delivering personalized content.
Terminus Advertising Audiences
- Within the segment builder, any advertising audience that you have created using Enhanced Audience Segmentation can be used to define a segment for onsite targeting.
- Terminus advertising audiences created from another source (ex: Salesforce, HubSpot, .CSV upload) cannot be used for website personalization.
- Using these audiences to build segments will only determine which accounts should see your personalized experience. This will not include the departments, seniority-levels, or title-specific selections you made when creating the tactic.
- All advertising audiences you wish to use to create segments will need to be added in the Connections configuration first.
Terminus Firmographic Data
- Within the segment builder, the following firmographic fields are available for use to define your target audience:
- Employee Range (Drop Down) - Options mirror firmographics available in Terminus Hub.
- Revenue Range (Drop Down) - Options mirror firmographics available in Terminus Hub.
- Industry (Drop Down) - Options mirror firmographics available in Terminus Hub.
- Company Name (Free Text)
- Domain (Free Text)
- Business Entity ID (Free Text)
- Entity Type (Free Text)
- Is ISP (Yes/No)
- Is Mobile (Yes/No)
- Country Code (Free Text)
- NAICS Code (Free Text)
- NAICS Description (Free Text)
- SIC Code (Free Text)
- SIC Description (Free Text)
- Using the “Campaign” condition in the segment builder, any campaign UTM can be used to identify website visitors (ex: info.terminus.com/abm-platform?utm_source=terminus&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=abmplatform)
- For example, if a particular marketing campaign uses utm_campaign=abm_platform , you can use the abm_platfom in the “campaign” condition field to identify anybody that arrived from those specific ads.
Visitor URL / All Visitors
- Current URL: Allows targeting of visitors based on the URL that they are on. This is most widely used in Rule Filters, but can also be applied to the inclusion/exclusions conditions of segments.
- All Visitors: Allows for the creation of a segment that targets everybody. This can be an effective way to target everybody with a banner, fly-in, or modal if you have a message that is relevant to all of your website visitors and you’d like to use those types of content delivery to share that message.
How to Create a Segment
Step 1: Navigate to the segment library by selecting the “Segments” option from the left-hand navigation.
Step 2: Select the “+ NEW SEGMENT” button from the top right to open the segment builder.
Step 3: Give your segment a name. The name is what will appear in the Segment Library. You can provide an optional description, if you’d like. You can also provide any relevant tags. Tags are used for sorting in the Segment Library.
Adding tags to your segment
Filtering by tags in the Segment Library
Step 4: Use the “Include” and “Exclude” parameters and the “AND” and “OR” options in the segment creation template to define the audience that you’d like to target.
When selecting conditions, you will see a classification for “Terminus” and the dropdown will include options for Terminus Advertising Audiences and for each of the firmographic fields (listed above).
You will also see an option for “Campaign” that will allow you to enter the Campaign UTM parameter to identify visitors who arrive from that paid campaign.
To connect the condition category with the value, you will use one of the following matching parameters:
- Matches Exactly: will match website visitors into the segment only if the value entered for the condition exactly matches the associated value for the visitor
- Contains: will match website visitors into the segment only if the value entered for the condition is contained in the associated value for the visitor
- Begins with: will match website visitors into the segment only if the visitor’s value for the associated field begins with the value entered
- Ends with: will match website visitors into the segment only if the visitor’s value for the associated field ends with the value entered
- Matches RegEx: will match website visitors into the segment only if the regular expression provided for the condition is met by the visitor
Step 5: Save your segment. It will now appear in your Segment Library, and will be available for use in personalization campaigns.
Within the Segment Library, segments can be viewed in card form:
Or in list form:
In card form, you can hover over the card to reveal segment Settings (Edit, Duplicate, Delete), how many Campaigns that segment is currently being used in (and what Campaigns they are), and what percent of your site traffic that segment represents.