This functionality is limited to our legacy display advertising product (tactics/campaigns launched pre-spring 2023). This feature will continue to function for any legacy tactics that still remain active in your instance, but it cannot be utilized with any current or future campaigns.
All customers who have access to Ad Experiences as part of their Terminus subscription can access this view.
The page reviewed in this article is specific to tactics launched on the display network. The details page for tactics launched via Terminus’s integration with the LinkedIn advertising network will have a separate tactic reporting view.
In Terminus, a campaign is a group of one or more tactics that share a common identifying factor or goal. A tactic is what allows you to define your unique advertising audience, delivers your creative set(s) to that audience, and allows you to set specific budgets and additional parameters for ad serving.
The Tactic Details page provides a more in-depth view of account-level advertising engagement, allows users to analyze and test their creative strategy, and can be used to assess advertising ROI with tactic-level conversion tracking.
In this article, we’ll review the main features and functionality of the Tactic Details page, including:
- Account Performance
- Creative Performance
- Tactic Settings
- Optimizing Tactic Performance
The Tactic Details Page can be accessed by clicking on a Tactic Name link from the Campaign Overview page.
The Account Performance section is the default view on the Tactic Details page. At the top of the page, you’ll find the tactic name, its associated campaign (with a clickable link, to view more campaign-specific information), reporting cohort filters, and tactic performance summary metrics.
The reporting cohorts can be adjusted to show data based on fixed date ranges, such as “Week to date,” “Last 90 Days,” and “Last Full Month,” or a custom date range.
The tactic summary metrics will remain fixed across the Account Performance, Creative, and Conversions sections, and will update based on the reporting cohorts you select.
The metrics featured in this section include:
- Active Accounts: The number of active accounts that were served an impression within the selected reporting timeframe/cohort.
- Impressions: The number of times an ad has been viewed by users associated with your targeted accounts.
- VTV: View-through visits; these are counted when a person is shown a Terminus ad (an impression is served), and then visits your website (either immediately, or at a later date) and visits any page. This metric is important, as it illustrates the impact that proactive advertising can have on driving web engagement from the right people, at the right accounts. Learn more about Terminus's view-through tracking here.
- VTC: View-through conversions; These are counted when a person is shown your Terminus ad (an impression is served), and then visits your website (either immediately, or at a later time) and completes a conversion activity. Learn more about Terminus's view-through tracking here.
- CPM: Cost-per-mille; the amount an advertiser is charged for serving 1,000 (mille) impressions. The Terminus Display Ad Network is optimized based on a CPM (cost-per-mille) model, and this is also how customers are billed for their media spend for display advertising tactics.
- Clicks: The number of times users associated with your targeted accounts have clicked on your display ad from a web page.
- Average CTR: Click-thru rate; measures the number of times targeted users clicked on your ad, and is the ratio of clicks to impressions (clicks ÷ impressions).
- Spend: The total amount you have spent to deliver ads through the Terminus platform.
Below the summary metrics is the performance graph. The graph will plot daily spend, impressions, and clicks so users can easily monitor performance trends over time. Hovering over the plot points on the graph will review additional details, including the total spend, impressions, and clicks recorded for that day. The graph view can be adjusted based on the reporting cohort you select.
Below the performance graph is the account table. Searching by account name will reveal performance trends and additional account-specific advertising metrics for that particular account. Clicking on the dropdown arrow next to the account name will reveal the account-specific performance graph.
The Account Status filter will also adjust the account table, and can be used to review and compare accounts in different advertising stages within your tactic account list.
The available statuses will include:
- All: All Statuses.
- Active: Accounts that can currently be served ad impressions.
- Deleted: Indicates when an account has been deleted from your Terminus-connected CRM (if applicable).
- Inactive: Accounts that have been manually deactivated by the user, or that no longer meet any dynamic audience rule criteria.
- Invalid: Used for the .CSV upload account list method to indicate that an error occurred when uploading (for example, the account was marked as a duplicate). In a Global IP Targeting tactic, the invalid state is the equivalent of unmatched in a standard tactic.
- Pending Validation: Once the tactic is running, this status will be used to indicate when new accounts that match your dynamic audience rule criteria, have been manually uploaded via .CSV, or are going through the data validation process but are not yet synced and active in the tactic.
Progressed: Indicates that an account has met your progression rule criteria, and is no longer active in the tactic. This status is specific to tactics using our direct integration with Salesforce as their audience source.
Within the account table, users can view advertising data per individual account in your tactic audience list.
The metrics in the table include:
- Account Name
- Account Status
- Reach: The total number of potential/estimated user cookies associated to an account within the selected reporting timeframe/cohort.
- CPM: The amount an advertiser is charged for serving 1,000 (mille) impressions. The Terminus Display Ad Network is optimized based on a CPM model, and this is also how customers are billed for their media spend for display advertising tactics. Customers leveraging our integration with the LinkedIn advertising network will be billed through their LinkedIn Advertising Account.
Within the account table, you can manually deactivate accounts with an “Active” status, or activate any accounts that were previously manually deactivated. When selecting the checkbox next to the account name, the appropriate action button will appear, based on the status of the account.
Just above the account table, users can export their account-level data via a .CSV export.
The next section of the Tactic Details page is Creative Performance. Here, you can see performance for your ad creative set(s), and can easily sort by which variations have received the most impressions, or have the highest click-thru rate.
At the individual creative level, users can use the icons below the creative thumbnail to edit their landing page and view performance trends for impressions and clicks
Users can use the “Bulk Action” drop down to perform additional actions at the individual and multi-creative level.
Just above the creative performance table, users can easily add new creative variations, and view performance for previously disabled creatives.
The A/B testing functionality can be used to separate out creative variations to monitor their performance against your tactic audience. Grouping creatives into different sets will not affect how ads are served to your audience; all ad creatives in your tactic will be served in a “round robin” style, based on creative size. From there, our ad delivery system will auto-optimize to serve higher performing creatives more frequently.
To set up A/B testing, first input your creative set names into the box at the top, and select “Add.”
Once the set names are created, select the corresponding creatives, and use the Bulk Action drop down to “Assign” them to the appropriate set.
The Conversions section in Tactic Details will mimic the view on the Conversions page, but the visit and conversion activity will be specific to the accounts in your tactic.
Reporting cohorts and the “Search by Account Name” feature can be used on this page to see view-through activity for specific accounts, and within specific reporting timeframes.
Additionally, view-through data can be exported via .CSV export.
The Diagnostics section will display any accounts with an “unmatched” status in the tactic. In Terminus, a "matched" status indicates that our ad delivery system should be able to target an account based on data availability.
To learn more about why accounts may be unmatched, and some actions you can take, check out this article: Unmatched Accounts in the Tactic Details Page.
Tactic Settings can be accessed via a pop-out window on the right-hand side of the Tactic Details page.
Tactic Settings will include:
- Tactic Name
Tactic Status: Users can filter their in-view tactics by the following statues:
- Pending, meaning the tactic has been submitted for review, and are currently going through the setup and approval process.
- Paused, meaning the tactic has been manually paused by users in your account
- Running, meaning the tactic is currently serving ads
- Completed, meaning a tactic has reached its end date
- Archived, meaning the tactic has been manually archived, and will not be run again
- Last Synced: The last time tactic data was refreshed (this will occur daily for all running tactics)
- Total Tactic Budget: The total amount you'd like your tactic to spend during its duration. Once the overall budget is reached, the tactic status will change to "Out of Budget." If unspecified, this will show as “None.”
- Remaining Tactic Budget: Your Total Budget minus your total Spend to-date. If unspecified, this will show as “N/A.”
- Daily Budget: The maximum amount you'd like your tactic to spend per day.
- Tactic Date Range: The runtime for the tactic, or the date the tactic is set to stop running, as determined by the end user. If unspecified, this will show as “Indefinitely,” meaning the tactic will run until it is manually paused or archived.
- Channel: The advertising method being employed for the tactic. All non-LinkedIn integrated tactics will show as “Display” (Terminus’s standard ad delivery method), as their channel.
- Audience Source: Where your target accounts are being accessed from. The options here could include Terminus Data Studio, Salesforce, or a .CSV list, in addition to our other audience source integration options.
- Account Rules: Additional account-level information related to your audience source. For tactics using Data Studio as their audience source, this would include the account list and/or Global Filters applied. For Salesforce-integrated tactics, this would show the fields and field values being used to select advertising accounts, in addition to any progression rules that may be applied to the tactic.
- Departments: The specific departments selected for account targeting. Additional departments can be added to a running tactic by selecting the green “Edit” button.
- Senior-Decision Makers: This will show whether the “Target senior-decision makers only” option was selected during tactic setup.
- Title Targeting Applied: This checkbox will only show for tactics using Terminus’s custom title targeting option.
- Ad Operations Notes: This section will be used to detail any custom tactic optimization settings requested by the customer. For more information on what additional settings are available, please reach out to your Client Strategy Manager.
By selecting the blue “Edit” button at the top Tactic Settings, users can adjust the tactic name, total budget, daily budget, tactic date range, and they can Pause or Archive the tactic.
The secondary Edit button is accessible just above the "Departments" section will open up the tactic builder interface.
Users can utilize this feature to:
- Change the tactic or campaign name (also possible with the inline Edit button)
- Add additional departments to target, or change their selection for "Expand to Whole Company"
- Upload additional accounts to target, if your audience source was a .CSV upload.
- Adjust your daily and/or overall budgets (also possible with the inline Edit button)
- Add, remove, or update current creatives and landing pages (also possible via the Creative Performance tab)
Optimizing Tactic Performance
For recommendations on how to utilize the data in the Tactic Details page to optimize your advertising tactic performance, check out this article:
How often is Terminus’s ad targeting data refreshed?
- Ad targeting data is refreshed monthly while Advertising performance data in Terminus Ad Experiences is updated daily.