What is Account Discovery?
Account Discovery provides a weekly report of new companies that are on your website, but may not be in your CRM. The report is appended with firmographics and Terminus engagement data, and accounts are scored against components of your Ideal Customer Profile (ICP) criteria, so you can choose which accounts to add to your marketing engagement or sales efforts.
Once you’ve installed the Visitor ID website tracking script installed on your website, we will collect data on a daily basis for visiting accounts (via reverse IP-lookup). Inside of the Visitor ID reporting interface, traffic will be separated into "Targeted Account Visits" (accounts that have been part of a Terminus advertising audience, and are considered "known" to the Terminus advertising system), and "Potential Account Visits," or any visiting account that has not been used in an advertising audience, and is not known to Terminus.
The Account Discovery report cross-references the account information in "Potential Account Visits" with your Data Studio-connected CRM database. From there, we are able to identify companies that have visited your website, but may not have an account record inside your CRM. We also provide firmographic data for these companies/potential new accounts, and apply a customized “Fit Score” based on your ideal customer criteria.
The report itself will be delivered via email in .CSV format every Monday. The report will be delivered to at least one point of contact at your account, as designated during the setup process.
The columns in the report will include:
- Account Fit Score
- Account Name
- Website URL
- Company Address (Street, City, State, Zip Code, Country)
- Source (Terminus)*
- Employee Range
- Employee #
- Revenue Range
- Revenue #
- Phone #
- NAICS Code: The North American Industry Classification System is the standard for classifying business establishments, and it groups them according to similarity in the processes used to produce goods or services.
- SIC Code: The Standard Industrial Classification SIC is a system for classifying industries by the type of activity in which they are primarily engaged with.
- Total Visits (For the week)**
- Unique Visitor (For the week)**
- Page Views (For the week)**
- Pages Per Visit (For the week)**
- Last Visit Date (For the week)**
- Generated Date (Date the report was generated)
*Source will always = “Terminus” for these reports. It’s highly recommended to include this field when uploading the CSV to your CRM, to use for attribution reporting in the future.
**This data is based on Terminus’s Visitor ID website tracking.
To provide further value, Terminus will “score” companies in the report based on the following criteria:
- Company Size
- Global Region
- Revenue Range
These attributes are meant to align with basic “fit” criteria for your ideal customer profile, or the market segments you typically do business with. To get started, customers will work with either their Onboarding Specialist or Customer Success Manager to complete the scoring worksheet:
In the sheet, you will be asked to score these elements based on the following scale:
- 0 = Not relevant to your ICP
- 1 = ICP Adjacent
- 2 = ICP Match
Once your scoring sheet has been submitted, you will start receiving your new accounts report on a weekly basis. Your first report will be delivered on the following Monday, after your scoring sheet has been submitted. From there, customers can upload this data directly into their CRM, and start planning marketing and sales outreach accordingly.
*NOTE: A downloadable copy of this sheet can be found attached at the end of this article*
A few important notes regarding this report:
- Firmographic data may not be available for every metric on every account. In the event that we do not have a value from our firmographic data source for an account, it will be calculated as a “0” on the fit scale.
- Terminus will maintain a universal spam blocklist to avoid sending “false” accounts in your weekly report. At this time, however, customers will not be able to provide custom blacklists (e.g., for current customer or competitor accounts).
- The report columns cannot be customized - formatting will be universal for all customers.
- We will filter out CRM accounts based on the data available in your instance of Data Studio. This means that if you have opted to exclude some segments of accounts in your Data Studio instance, those accounts may show up in your weekly report.
- Should an account get surfaced that you decide not to add to your CRM, the account will not resurface in your weekly reports (even if there is continued activity) for a period of 90 days.
- The report will not include contact-level data, or intent data. However, once you’ve uploaded accounts into your CRM, they will sync to your Data Studio instance, and associated intent and Engagement Spike data will be visible.
Importing Data into Your CRM
To get the most value out of the data provided with Account Discovery, customers should upload accounts into their CRM as soon as possible after the report is received.
Before uploading accounts into an external system, we recommend that you review the following sections:
The Account Filtering Process
Duplicate records within a CRM or marketing automation system are a common struggle across many organizations. We have built in several safeguards within Account Discovery to reduce the amount of accounts that are delivered that are already “known” to you. However, due to challenges with duplicate data, it is possible that accounts that are already in your CRM/Data Studio instance may still be included in your weekly reports.
Terminus uses the following process to identify & exclude accounts already in your CRM from the Account Discovery list:
- First, we normalize the account names from your CRM and the set of potential new accounts by stripping punctuation and removing common descriptors like "Corporation" and "Company" and their various abbreviations.*
- We then filter based on three comparisons:
- Normalized potential account names vs normalized CRM account names
- Potential account web domains vs CRM websites
- Normalized company names from LinkedIn (when available) vs normalized CRM account names
- If a potential new account matches on any of the three criteria above, it is excluded from the final export.
- We are actively working to reduce the number of duplicate accounts within your Account Discovery list, but we are currently erring on the side of over-delivering accounts to ensure you don't miss an opportunity.
*Words removed for normalization include: 'corp', 'corporation', 'co', 'company', 'inc', 'incorporated', 'llc', 'ltd', and 'limited'.
De-duping and Uploading Accounts
In order to deliver every potential opportunity to you, certain accounts with disparate values may be delivered in Account Discovery. If you do not already have a dupe-catching solution in place, we have compiled a list of tools that catch duplicate records during the import phase:
We recommend DemandTools, as you can use it to detect duplicates in the file prior to upload*. While Marketo has a native deduping tool for leads/contacts, it would not work for a list of just accounts.
To make uploading as easy as possible, the Account Discovery report will be delivered in a standard CSV file format. Many CRM/MAS platform should have a data import service built in natively, like Salesforce’s Data Loader. When uploading data, we’d recommend working directly with your Operations or CRM Admins to discuss your internal process for importing data.
*Note: DemandTools is not an affiliated partner of Terminus.
Use Cases for Account Discovery
Use Case #1: Drive Further Engagement in MQAs with Retargeting
When one person from a highly-scored account comes to your website, it's a great time to try to engage more stakeholders in that same account, and drive them toward a conversion event, like a content download or a demo request, to get more deeply engaged.
While Terminus offers the ability to launch traditional retargeting campaigns from our advertising platform, Account Discovery can also be leveraged to orchestrate digital advertising plays to accounts that have already shown interest on your website. For example:
Once your accounts from the Discovery report have been imported into your CRM and synced to your instance of Data Studio, you can create a saved account list. From there, you could launch display and LinkedIn advertising campaigns through the Terminus platform to that list, and expand your targeting to key departments and/or seniority levels to drive further engagement across the buying committee.
You could also use enhanced audience segmentation to layer on additional filters for intent or Engagement Spikes, so you’re prioritizing the best fit, most engaged account in your database.
From there, you can leverage Terminus’s View-Through Conversion Tracking report to monitor any view-through visits and conversions that come from these accounts after your ads have been served.
Use Case #2: Expand Pipeline By Assigning New Accounts to Sales
Sales is always hoping to be assigned engaged, high-fit accounts with the likelihood of a larger contract value.
With Account Discovery, marketing can deliver a list of engaged, highly-scored accounts to assign to their sales/business development team. Marketing teams that use a data enrichment service, (like Zoominfo, DiscoverOrg, LinkedIn Sales Navigator or Datafox), to acquire additional buying center contacts for outbound activities can combine the Account Discovery report with contact-level info so sales can prioritize prospecting efforts to accounts that are currently engaging with your brand.
At the same time, marketing can provide air cover to those accounts by sending targeted email nurture programs with a cadence that matches any ad deliverability or creative updates on the Terminus advertising platform. As the account “heats up”, new emails and ads can be triggered by the same custom fields.
How many accounts should I expect to receive on a weekly basis?
- Volume will vary widely per customer depending on your existing CRM, web traffic volume, and account score criteria. We cannot guarantee a specific number of accounts, but will deliver all accounts that we were able to identify visiting your website in a week, with a corresponding score based on their fit criteria.
Is this feature available for CRM’s other than Salesforce?
- Yes; this feature is also available for customers using our List-Based CRM feature, and our integration with Microsoft Dynamics.
Will accounts located outside of the US & Canada be included in this report?
- Yes, this report may include companies that are headquartered outside of the US & Canada. We will indicate company location in the report (including country), and customers will be able to incorporate Global Region into their account scoring criteria.