This feature is available to all customers on Terminus “Professional” (Pro) plans, or who have Advanced Analytics included in their subscription.
What is the Marketing Influence report?
The Marketing Influence Report provides a holistic view of marketing activities that traditional CRM reporting cannot. It allows users to quickly measure, across all opportunities, how their marketing programs are influencing pipeline and revenue.
Graph and Data Table
Rather than focusing on individual activities or deals, the Marketing Influence Report offers an executive-level view of all the air cover marketing is providing to existing pipeline and revenue.
The report is accessible via the “Analyze” tab in your instance of Terminus Hub:
The report leverages Salesforce contacts and lead-to-account matched campaign response data. The report also includes all of the “orphan leads” and contacts that were attributed to the associated opportunities to give a more complete overview of how Marketing has supported key business outcomes.
The bars in the graph represent the total influenced pipeline created or revenue won, compared to the overall total.
Below the graph is the Marketing Influence Data table. Here, users can see a breakout of total Pipeline/Revenue, Opportunities Created/Deals Won, Influenced Pipeline/Revenue, Influenced Opportunities/Deals, % Influenced Pipeline/Revenue, and % Influenced Opportunities/Deals, by quarter or by month.
Checking on/off individual quarters or months will change the graph view above:
Clicking on the links in the “Opportunities Created/Deals Won” and “Influenced Opportunities/Deals” columns will take you to the full opportunity report within Opportunity Insights:
The graph and table data can be altered by applying different filtering options.
- Cohort: Specify historical time periods to measure against, like last full year, specific past fiscal years, or a custom date range.
- Interval: Define quarterly or monthly intervals to trend on the graph.
- Metric: Select between showing total & influenced pipeline or revenue.
- Influence Type:
- Any influence: All responses from leads and contacts associated to an account, that happened either pre- or post-opportunity creation.
- Pre-Opportunity Influence: Responses from leads and contacts associated to an account that happened before an opportunity was created.
- Post-Opportunity Influence: Responses from leads and contacts associated to an account that happened after an opportunity was created.
Customers can also use Global Filters to view pipeline and revenue influence for specific account lists, campaign channels, opportunity types, and more.
This report is used as a first step in analysis before diving into individual opportunities with Opportunity Insights, or individual channels with Campaign Analytics. It can also be added as a Dashboard tile to give more visual context to list-based reports, and track which opportunities have marketing touches.
Dashboard tiles can be created directly from the Dashboard page, or from the Marketing Influence report page.
Tile settings can be adjusted to show:
- Reporting by Month or by Quarter
- By Revenue or by Pipeline
- For 2-7 Quarters
- Influence Type (Any, Pre, or Post-Opportunity)
Tiles can also be filtered based on any available Global Filter selections.
What Questions Can the Marketing Influence Report Answer?
This report serves as a jumping off point for both look-back analysis and campaign planning. It answers questions like:
- What percentage of revenue is being influenced by marketing?
- What percentage of our target accounts were meaningfully impacted by marketing last quarter?
- Do we need more coverage by marketing before or after opportunities are created?
- Are there channels where we can invest more to ensure we’re covering our target accounts through the entire buying cycle?
- Is there a discrepancy in how marketing is providing influence between open pipeline and closed won revenue?
- Is marketing coverage trending up over time?
Use Cases for the Marketing Influence Report
- Pre-Opportunity Influence - “I want to see what percent of my historical pipeline was influenced by a campaign response before the opportunity created date, so I can track how pipeline creation is being supported by my programs, and optimize for demand generation.”
- Any Influence - “I want to see what percent of my historical revenue was influenced by a campaign response at any point before a deal’s close date, so I can track the breadth of my program coverage throughout the entire sales cycle and better accelerate deals.”
- Pre-Opportunity Influence - “I want to see what percent of my historical revenue was influenced by a campaign response before the opportunity created date, so I can track if won deals were sourced by my marketing programs.”
- Post-Opportunity Influence - “I want to see what percent of my historical revenue was influenced by a campaign response after the opportunity created date, so I can track if won deals were accelerated by my programs.”
- Account and Terminus Firmographic Filters - “I want to see what percent of my historical pipeline/revenue from a particular account segment were influenced by a campaign response, so I can quickly report on performance across companies with different combinations of attributes.”
- e.g. I want to see how much total and influenced pipeline came from [Account Region = “North America”] or [Industry = “Financial Services].
- Account Lists - “I want to see what percent of my historical pipeline/revenue from my saved account lists were influenced by a campaign response, so I can quickly report on the performance of target accounts that were involved in account-based strategies and compare them with performance for the overall business.”
- e.g. I want to see how much total and influenced revenue came from my “Q2-2019 Financial Services” target accounts list.
- Opportunity Filters - “I want to see what percent of my historical pipeline/revenue from specific opportunity types were influenced by a campaign response, so I can quickly report on the performance of specific types of offerings that were attempted/sold.”
- e.g. I want to see much total and influenced revenue came from [Opportunity Type = “New Business” or “Channel Sale”]
- People Filters (Lead/Contact) - “I want to compare total pipeline/revenue to influenced pipeline/revenue from specific leads/contact attributes, so I can discover which personas or buyer traits most engaged with our programs, and resulted in initiating/completing the sales process.”
- e.g. I want to see how much influenced pipeline had program engagement from people with [Title = “Director”or “C-level”], compared to total pipeline created by the business.
- Campaign Filters - “I want to see what percent of my historical pipeline/revenue was influenced by a specific CRM campaign attributes, so I can quickly report on performance by marketing program(s) engagement.”
- e.g. I want to see how much influenced pipeline had program engagement from [Campaign Type = “Tradeshows”or “Dinners”], compared to total pipeline created by the business.
- Terminus Engagement Spike or Bombora Filters - “I want to see what percent of my historical pipeline/revenue had engagement spikes/Bombora intent surge, so I can show what outcomes came from accounts showing website engagement or intent.”
- e.g. I want to see how much total and influenced pipeline had intent from [Topics = “Cloud Storage”or “Distributed Processing”]
- Does the Marketing Influence report include Terminus advertising as a channel?
- The report currently only measures CRM campaign responses, which does not include influence from Terminus advertising or Visitor ID.