This feature is available to customers whose subscription includes Terminus Data Studio.
What are Global Filters?
Global filters are a powerful feature within the Terminus platform that allows users to segment and prioritize data across the platform. Global filters can be applied to your instance of Data Studio, as well as most reports in Measurement Studio, to better understand the impact of your marketing and sales activities across key business segments.
Global filters are grouped into six categories: Account List, Account, People, Campaign, Opportunity, and Terminus.
- Account List: This data is based on lists you create and manage directly in Data Studio.
- Account: This data is based on fields from your CRM account object.
- People: This data is based on fields from your CRM lead and contact object.
- Campaign: This data is based on fields from your CRM or marketing automation campaign object.
- Opportunity: This data is based on fields from your CRM opportunity object.
- Terminus: This data is our firmographic and digital engagement data populated by Terminus.
Global Filters Relationships
Our Global Filters were designed to link CRM leads/contacts, opportunities, campaigns, and accounts together - something typical filters in CRM don't do. When you apply filters across the platform, here are a few things to keep in mind by CRM object type:
- Lead / Contact - responses will filter in based on applied Lead / Contacts that meet the filter criteria applied.
- Opportunity - reports will filter in opportunities based on the specific opportunity filters applied. For campaign reports, responses will only be surfaced when the campaign member responses are associated with an account, with an opportunity that meets the filter criteria applied.
- Account - reports will filter in accounts based on the specific account filters applied. Responses must come from Lead / Contact associated with Accounts that meet the filter criteria. Opportunities must be associated with accounts that meet the filters applied.
How to Save Global Filters
Global Filters can be saved to easily reapply groups of filters. Saved sets of global filters can be saved privately by each user or publicly across an organization. This is especially useful if you find yourself using a recurring set of filters every time you access the Terminus platform.
To save an applied set of global filters:
- Open the global filters panel within Data Studio, or any reporting view in Opportunity Insights or Campaign Analytics (depending on your feature access).
- Select the criteria you want to filter
- Click “Save” on the bottom, right corner.
- Enter a Filter Name
- Choose if you would like to save as a Private filter (only visible when you are logged in) or one to be saved for the Organization (available for all users in your organization to use)
You'll be able to access the new saved filter in the "Saved Filters" drop-down at the top of the Global Filters panel:
How to Delete a Saved Filter
To remove a saved global filter, first select the saved filter you wish to delete from the "Saved filters" drop down menu. Next, click the "Delete Filter" button.
Note: If you delete an Organizational Filter, it will be removed for all users on your account.
Creating and Managing Global Filters
Global filters are initially configured during the Terminus onboarding process. However, filters can be adjusted on an ongoing basis as needed. Customers who are Terminus Data Studio Admins have the flexibility to create, update and delete global filters within their Terminus instance.
Any standard CRM field from one of the standard objects that Terminus accesses (Account, Campaign, Leads, and Opportunity) can be added.
To add a new global filter, first, go to Settings > Configuration.
Next, scroll down to the "Global Filters" section, and select the object you wish to adjust, and/or add a new filter to:
From here Admins can add or remove/update filters. To add a new filter:
- Select "Add Filter" to add a new filter, and select a field from your CRM instance that the filter will represent
- Enter a title for the filter
- Click "Save Filters" in the bottom-right corner
Once the filter is saved, it will appear after the next sync with your CRM data (typically within 24 hrs). If you have any questions or need additional assistance, please contact support through the Terminus Support Portal.
**NOTE: There is a limit of 12 filters per filter object that can be configured, per customer account. Additionally, all global filters will automatically sort alphabetically.
Global Filter FAQs
I'm not seeing the field I'm looking for in the dropdown menu in the Global Filters section of my Configurations - how do I add it?
- Please reach out to our Support Team through the Terminus Support Portal so they can enable that field for you.
I just created a filter but I don't see it in the platform - where did it go?
- Any new filters or deletions will take up to 24 hours to appear within the platform.
I added a filter over 24 hours ago and I'm not seeing it appear - what happened?
- This may be because the field in your CRM doesn't yet contain any values. If there are no data values in that field in your CRM, Terminus won't display the filter even if it's technically created. Once there is data populated in that CRM field, the filter will appear after the next sync with your CRM.
- If the CRM field does contain values, check if those records with the values are considered invalid in your Terminus configuration (e.g. did you request that Terminus ignore "Campaign Type = List Purchase" or "Opportunity Type = Renewal"?). If those records are ignored by Terminus, the filter won't populate until there is valid data to reference.
I don't want to delete or add a filter, I just want to rename a filter - can I do that?
- Yes, to rename a filter just follow these steps:
- Find the filter under Configuration > Global Filters > [CRM Object e.g. "Opportunity"]
- Type the new name into the "Filter Name" box
- Click "Save"
- The change will appear right away, just navigate to a report (e.g. Opportunities List) and refresh the page to see the update
Can we create a filter that references an identical field on both Leads and Contacts?
- Reach out to our support team through the Terminus Support Portal so they can create the filter for you
- Example: the field "Lead Source" exists on both Leads and Contacts
I have a filter request but it doesn't fall into any of these categories - can I still create it?
- Reach out to our support team through the Terminus Support Portal with more information and we will assist.
Do Global Filters affect Leads, Campaigns, Accounts, and Opportunities?
- Our Global Filters were designed to link CRM leads / contacts, opportunities, and campaigns all together - something typical filters in the CRM don't do. It also provides a unique view to see exactly which leads / contacts, campaigns, or opportunities were impacted by this filter applied to narrow down your reports even further.
- Here's a breakdown by Salesforce object types how filters would affect touches:
- Lead / Contact - Touches will filter out based on specific Lead / Contact quality (i.e. SDFC field).
- Opportunity - Touches will filter out opportunities based on specific opportunity filter. Then we will map filtered opportunities to the appropriate Salesforce campaign members.
- Account - Touches must come from Lead / Contact associated to Account filter.
- Custom - Touches must come from Lead / Contact / Account associated to this custom object filter.
Article is closed for comments.