This feature is available to customers whose subscription includes the Terminus Measurement Studio.
What is Opportunity Insights?
Opportunity Insights enables Marketing teams to execute a more detailed analysis of their opportunities. The Opportunity Insights table showcases key opportunity data and allows users to segment on various status cohorts, date ranges, levels of marketing influence, and Global Filters selections. Opportunity Insights can be used to identify trends in specific cohorts, prioritize marketing and sales outreach, and conduct analysis to better understand the level of marketing influence on those opportunities.
There are several filtering options at the top of the list view that can be selected to alter the opportunities that are visible: In Cohort, Cohort, and Marketing Influence.
The "Cohort" view allows you to filter your opportunity data by different pre-set timeframes (like "Week to Date", "Quarter to Date", "Last Full Quarter"), or a custom range.
- Created: Apply the date range from “cohort” as a filter using the Opportunity Create Date
- Closed: Apply the date range from “cohort” as a filter using the Opportunity Close Date
- Open or Closed: Show all opportunities, regardless of if they are currently open or closed
- Open: Filter to only show opportunities that are currently open
- Closed: Filter to only show opportunities that are currently closed
CLOSED (only shows when Status = “Open or Closed” or “Closed”)
- Won or Lost: Show all closed opportunities, regardless of if they are closed won or close lost
- Won: Filter closed opportunities to show only those that were won
- Lost: Filter closed opportunities to show only those that were lost
The "Marketing Influence" options allow you to filter opportunity data based on if marketing has had influence or not:
- With or Without Influence (All Opportunities): This view will display all opportunities, regardless of marketing influence. This option is on when the gray "marketing influenced" text appears.
- Marketing Influenced: This view displays opportunities where there has been at least one campaign response from a person at the account where an opportunity exists, regardless of the sequence (campaign response could be before an opportunity was created or while the opportunity is in open stages).
- e.g. I want to understand the overall exposure that my marketing activities had on all opportunities in a given cohort.
- Pre-Opportunity Influence: Displays opportunities where there was at least one campaign response that occurred before the opportunity was created.
- Post-Opportunity Influence: Displays opportunities where there was at least one campaign response that occurred after the opportunity was created.
- No Marketing Influence: This view displays opportunities where there were NO campaign responses from people associated with the account where the opportunity exists, either prior to the creation of the opportunity or while the opportunity is in open stages.
e.g. I want to analyze the opportunities with zero marketing influence in a given cohort.
Opportunity Insights has a number of available data columns that can be easily toggled on and off in your list view. The available columns include:
- Opportunity Name: Opportunity Name, as it appears in your CRM
- Account Name: Account where this opportunity exists in your CRM
- Amount: Total Opportunity Amount, based on your configured amount field
- Amount MRR: Monthly Recurring Opportunity Amount, based on your configured amount field, divided by 12.
- Current Stage: Current opportunity stage
- Created Date: Date opportunity was created in your CRM
- Close Date: Date opportunity is set to close in your CRM
- OTD Velocity: Total Number of days between opportunity Create Date and opportunity Close Date for closed won opportunities
- Source Campaign: The first campaign influence associated with the account where the opportunity was created.
- Source Campaign Type: The campaign type of the source campaign associated to the account prior to opportunity creation.
- Last Touch Campaign: The last campaign response associated with the account prior to opportunity creation.
- Last Touch Campaign Type: The campaign type of the last campaign response associated with the account prior to opportunity creation.
- Total Campaigns: The total number of unique campaigns that influenced people at the account where the opportunity is associated.
- People (Oppty): Number of unique contacts associated to an Opportunity Contact Role in your CRM, regardless if they responded to any campaigns.
- People (Acct): Number of unique contacts associated to the account where the opportunity exists , regardless if they responded to any campaigns.
- Oppty Respondents: Number of Opportunity Contacts that have responded to campaigns during the buying cycle.
- Acct Respondents: Number of Account Contacts from the CRM that have responded to campaigns during the buying cycle.
- Lead Source: The "lead source" (CRM) value is the first campaign associated with the lead that was converted into the primary opportunity contact.
- Pre-Opp Creation Responses: Number of campaign member responses before the opportunity was created.
- Post-Opp Creation Responses: Number of campaign member responses after the opportunity was created and before the opportunity is moved to a closed status.
- All Responses: The total number of campaign responses against all leads and contacts associated with the account for the corresponding opportunity.
- Opportunity Type: Type of opportunity based on CRM opportunity type.
The second tab in Opportunity Insights provides preset visualizations of your opportunity data. These graphs currently include:
Opportunities by Stage
- Displays opportunities in a given stage using the “Stage” on the Opportunity (default in CRM), to represent the milestone in the sales cycle that an opportunity has currently progressed to.
Opportunities by Source Campaign Type
- Displays opportunities by source campaign type using the first campaign response for leads or contacts associated with the account where the opportunity exists to represent the “First marketing touch that ‘sourced’ the opportunity.”
Opportunities by Last Touch Campaign Type
- Displays the opportunities by last touch campaign type using the last campaign response type prior to opportunity creation, which represents the “Last marketing touch before an opportunity was created.”
What Questions Can Opportunity Insights Answer?
Opportunity Insights can be leveraged by Marketing and Sales team to answer a number of questions related to pipeline status, prioritization, and influence. Some of these questions include:
What does opportunity activity look like in my key business segments/target account lists?
- You can apply Global Filters within the Opportunity Insights report to easily view opportunity activity in accounts that are part of a saved Account List. You can also use Global Filters to drill down to opportunities that are owned by specifics Sales reps (Opportunity Owner), are a certain Opportunity Type (New Business, Renewals, Expansions etc), are part of one of your key verticals, or segment out opportunities by region.
Where is Marketing most influential?
- Use the "Closed Won" cohort to look back at deals that closed in the last quarter, or the last 6 months. Leverage the Pre Opp Creation, Post Opp Creation and All Responses data columns, as well as the Source/Last Touch Campaign columns, to get a better idea of marketing's impact on specific deals.
- If you have our Advanced Analytics or Advanced Measurement package as part of your subscription, you can use the Opportunity Journey view to better understand all of the specific campaigns that were influential for a specific opportunity, and who from that account interacted with them.
Is Marketing most influential pre or post opportunity?
- You can use the "Pre/Post-Opp Creation Responses" columns to see if marketing's messaging & campaign structure has helped generate an opp, or if marketing has had influential campaign touches while your team has been in an active sales cycle.
Should I invest more in certain program types? Are the program types I expect sourcing opportunities?
- Use the Visuals tab to see which campaign types are influencing the most opportunities in specific cohorts. Use that insight to adjust planning and resource allocation toward the most influential campaigns. Take it a level further and apply opportunity stage global filters to narrow down only opportunities in closed won or closed lost stages. Apply account list global filters to narrow down only opportunities within given account segments.
Can I customize my Opportunity Insights column options?
- No, the Opportunity Insights columns are fixed for all customers.