To use this integration, you must have Terminus Ad Experiences as part of your subscription. Additionally, you must have an active LinkedIn advertising account set up with an authorized payment method. For information on how to set up an advertising account in LinkedIn, please reference this article.
With the LinkedIn ads integration, customers can create dynamic LinkedIn audiences based on the CRM accounts from their Terminus Data Studio. These audience segments can be utilized for all LinkedIn ad formats including Lead Gen Forms, Sponsored Content, video ads, and more. For more information on LinkedIn ad sizes, please reference this article. Terminus customers can leverage the native tools within LinkedIn while using Terminus Account Lists.
The Ad Experiences integration with the LinkedIn advertising platform is powered by our B2B Account Graph (a machine learning, artificial intelligence technology that connects all the ways in which companies and account names are related to each other), to ensure users are reaching the right accounts for their advertising strategy. Running your target accounts through B2B Account Graph (automatically initiated when you create a new LinkedIn audience) will minimize the challenges of inconsistency and inaccurate account names across different data sets. The new LinkedIn ads integration process also includes finding and matching your targeted accounts with the correct LinkedIn company pages.
Authorizing Your LinkedIn Ad Account in Terminus
To start using the LinkedIn advertising integration, you must have LinkedIn Campaigns as part of your subscription. Please contact your Customer Success Manager if you need clarification. You will also need to have an account administrator on your LinkedIn ad account to authorize the Terminus integration.
- To confirm who is an approved admin on your account, go to your LinkedIn Campaign Manager -> click on your company account -> Settings (gear icon on the top right of the page) -> Manage Access. For more information on how to Manage your Ad Account Settings, please reference this article.
Once you have confirmed who will authorize the integration, navigate back to your Ad Experiences instance:
- Settings > Integrations > Select the LinkedIn Icon
- Click the "Connect to LinkedIn" button and select the LinkedIn Ad Account to associate with your Terminus platform (Note: You can only associate one LinkedIn ad account per Terminus instance).
Once the authentication is complete, your LinkedIn integration page should look like this:
Here, you can view which ad account you have connected, when your authentication expires, and the current status of your LinkedIn ad account.
Creating LinkedIn Audiences
Creating audiences inside of Terminus allows for dynamic lists to be used across the full suite of LinkedIn ad types. To create an audience:
- Click on the "New Campaign/New Tactic” button. This will take you to the "Create Campaign" page.
- Click on the LinkedIn Audiences button.
- Click on "Get Started".
- At this time, you can rename your audience by clicking the edit button in the top left side of the page. You can also add a description of your audience. If you do not add a name before you save an audience, a default name will be assigned as "LinkedIn Audience [creation date]". This name can be updated at any time.
- Using the Global Filters drop down menu, choose your options to define the rules for your audience. The Global Filters dropdown will also allow you to choose from an existing Account List already created in Data Studio. You may also add additional "AND/OR" rules to further define your audience. When you are finished, click "save".
- You are now ready to publish. You may also choose to discard your audience segment, if you need to make changes. To publish, click the "Publish" button.
Once your audience segment has been published, you will be taken to the Campaign Overview page. You will see a list of all audience segments created. Information available includes:
- Audience Name: the name of the audience; primarily used to make it easier to reference an audience and to recall its purpose.
- Description: the description of the audience segment created.
- Status: the current status of your LinkedIn audience (this is sent directly from LinkedIn).
- Source: the source will always be Terminus (Data Studio).
- Destination: the source will always be LinkedIn.
- Matched Accounts: this is based on data collection by LinkedIn for a rolling seven-day window. It is not a current total count of matched accounts, only the net change over the past 7 days.
- Audience Size: the current approximate count of Members within the LinkedIn Audience
- Created Date: when the audience segment was created.
- Last Modified: when the audience segment was last edited.
You will also be able to see the LinkedIn status of your audience segment. Status definitions include:
- Pending: The audience segment has been created and Terminus is in the process of pushing it over to LinkedIn. Allow up to 24 hours for the audience segment to reach LinkedIn.
- Building: The segment is being processed and can’t be used yet. Allow 48 hours (on a rare occasion, longer) for processing.
- Ready: Your segment has been fully processed and is available for use within a campaign.
- Updating: Edits to your list are in process. Allow 48 hours (on a rare occasion, longer) for the updates to process.
- Failed: There are problems with the list you uploaded or the segment you pushed from your data integration provider. If you have a data integration provider, please work with them to resolve the issue.
- Audience Too Small: The segment has been processed and the audience is below 300 members, which is too small to be used in ad campaigns. Add more companies or emails to your segment.
- Archived: The segment has not been used in an active campaign in the past 30 days. Your segment can be reactivated by adding it to a live campaign. Allow 48 hours for the audience to re-process.
- Expired: The segment has not been edited or used in an active or draft campaign in the past 90 days. The data is no longer available. You may edit your expired list to make it useable in campaigns.
For more information on LinkedIn status definitions and more, please reference this article.
Full campaign reporting can be found in your LinkedIn Campaign Manager.
Editing Audience Segments Inside Terminus
Audience segments can be updated at any time within the Ad Experiences tool. To update an audience:
- On your Campaign Overview page, click on the audience you wish to edit.
- Using the rule builder, make any edits you need to the audience segment. When you are finished, click "save" and then "publish". Any campaigns using this edited audience will continue to run on the previously defined rules until the edits are live in LinkedIn - up to 72 hours. Once the edited audience is built, the campaign will run with the updated audience.
Disabling or Enabling Audience Segments
Users can also disable a LinkedIn audience segment within the Terminus platform or re-enable that same audience. Once a segment is disabled, Terminus stops dynamically syncing the audience segment with LinkedIn. The associated segment in LinkedIn will continue to operate as designed, unless intentionally removed from their platform.
Disabling an audience in Terminus does NOT remove it from campaigns in LinkedIn - this needs to be done inside the LinkedIn Campaign Manager.
If a segment is re-enabled, the audience will begin the ‘building’ process again and dynamically sync accordingly.
Using LinkedIn Audiences to Create a LinkedIn campaign
Now that your audiences have been created, they will be built in LinkedIn - this can take up to 72 hours. When your audience is ready to use in a LinkedIn campaign, the status will be updated as "Ready". To utilize a Terminus audience inside of a LinkedIn campaign:
- Click "Create Campaign".
- Selected Campaign Group(s) and hit "Next".
- Choose your Campaign Objective.
- Under "Who Is Your Target Audience", choose "Third Party".
- Then, choose "Third Party Company".
- Finally, choose the Terminus audience(s) you would like to include.
- Continue on to define and finalize your LinkedIn campaign.
For more information on creating campaigns inside the LinkedIn Campaign Manager, please reference this article.
What happens when my LinkedIn Integration breaks? (ie: expired token)
- Customers will receive an alert informing them that their LinkedIn integration has expired. Links will be provided that instruct users how to correct the issue. During this time, users will only see limited info on the LinkedIn tab of the Campaign Overview page. Please refer back to Authorizing Your LinkedIn Ad Account in Terminus.
What happens if I disable a Terminus audience segment inside of LinkedIn?
- If a user inadvertently “Deletes” a LinkedIn Audience (DMP Segment) in LinkedIn, Terminus will not delete the audience as well. We will simply build the audience again.
What is the cost of the Terminus integration with Terminus?
- There is no additional cost to use the LinkedIn integration. However, LinkedIn Campaigns must be included in your subscription.
What are the requirements for integrating LinkedIn with Terminus?
- You will need to have a LinkedIn Advertising account with an authorized payment method set up within the LinkedIn platform. Once that is set up, you will be able to link your LinkedIn account to your Terminus account from within the Terminus platform.
Can I integrate with a LinkedIn ad account associated with my company's Showcase page?
- Yes, we now support ad accounts associated with a LinkedIn Showcase page, in addition to ad accounts associated with a LinkedIn Company page.
If I make changes to a LinkedIn dynamic audience segment, how long will it take to see those changes in my LinkedIn campaign?
- The standard turnaround time is up to 72 hours. The larger the list, the longer it will take to build.
If I make changes to a LinkedIn dynamic audience segment, does my LinkedIn campaign continue running with the segment rules until the sync happens and the new rules kick in?
- Yes, the dynamic audience segment will continue to run until the new rules are built and live (up to 72 hours).
What currencies are accepted for the Terminus LinkedIn integration?
- Currently the integration only supports a LinkedIn ad account whose billing currency is in US Dollars (USD).
How does billing work? Will Terminus bill me for LinkedIn media spend?
- All billing is handled directly by LinkedIn from LI campaign manager. Terminus will NOT bill customers for LinkedIn media spend.
How can I contact LinkedIn for help?
- The LinkedIn Marketing Solutions Help Page can be found here.
Why does my Matched Accounts number not match with what I see in LinkedIn?
- The Matched Accounts field is based on data collection by LinkedIn for a rolling seven-day window. It is not a current total count of matched accounts, only the net change over the past 7 days. You can still view the total matched accounts inside of the LinkedIn Campaign Manager.
If you have any questions or need assistance with getting setup using LinkedIn, please contact email@example.com.