You can place the tag across any selected domains and subdomains or you can choose specific pages on certain domains. If you have any questions, concerns, or challenges, do not hesitate to ask your CSM for assistance.
Step 1: Add Tracking Code to Website(s)
Option 1: Footer Implementation
Find the <footer> tag in your website’s source code. Paste the Terminus tracking code right after the opening <footer> tag. Once you have done that, clear any cache or CDN your website may be using so the code goes live immediately. Example below:
Option 2: Body Implementation
Find the closing </body> tag in your website’s source code. Paste the Terminus tracking code right before the closing </body> tag. Once you have done that, clear any cache or CDN your website may be using so the code goes live immediately. Example below:
Option 3: Header Implementation
Find the </head> tag in your website’s source code. Paste the Terminus tracking code right before the closing </head> tag. Once you have done that, clear any cache or CDN your website may be using so the code goes live immediately. Example below:
Option 4: If Tags are Used - Tag Manager
Create a new “Custom HTML” tag. Paste the tracking code into the block, and be sure to choose the option to “Support Document.Write”
Once the tag is created, “publish” the container and clear the website's cache or CDN to ensure the code has made it to the website.
Step 2: Add Tracking Code to Externally Hosted Content
If any of the web content relevant to your Terminus tactics is hosted by third-party vendors, you may also choose to implement Visitor ID tracking code on those externally hosted pages.
As an example, many of our customers are hosting landing pages on a marketing automation platform like Marketo or Hubspot, or a landing page tool like Leadpages or Unbounce. In order to track visits from your Terminus accounts to those landing pages, you’ll need to install your tracking code on pages hosted on these platforms.
For installation instructions, please refer to the custom code installation instructions for each provider and install the tracking code provided by Terminus according to those instructions. Instructions for some of the most common providers are linked here:
- Marketo: How to Add Custom Code to a Marketo Landing Page
- Hubspot: How do I Add HTML to my HubSpot Page?
- Leadpages: How to Add Third Party Tracking Codes To Your Leadpage
Step 3: Verify The Tag Is Running
Once the tag is installed on either your site or an external landing page, you can check to make sure it is running by using the developer tools in Google Chrome or Firefox.
- On a PC: either hit F12, or go to Settings > More Tools > Developer Tools. Click “Network” then in the Filter section type “t.js” and if you see the code load on the site, it was implemented correctly.
- On a MAC: Click on “view” from your menu bar at the top left section. Hover over “Developer”, select “Developer Tools”, click “Network” then in the Filter section type “t.js” and if you see the code load on the site, it was implemented correctly.
- You should see the following cookies when the script fires in your browser (named jwt_cookie):
"s-9da4" is a session cookie, and "d-a8e6" is a device ID cookie. If you get rid of them or block them then you will lose Visitor ID tracking for visitors.
- If you do not see it, please refresh your page. If there continues to be an issue, contact your webmaster and e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org