In this article, we’ll walk through how to launch a Terminus campaign. We’ll cover the difference between a tactic and a campaign and will also walk through each step in the process of building a campaign. Read through this and you’ll be ready to launch a Terminus campaign in no time!
Tactic and Campaign Structure in Terminus
In Terminus, a campaign is a group of one or more tactics that share a common identifying factor or goal. A tactic delivers one set of creative to a given audience. For more on the campaign and tactic structure in Terminus, check out this article.
Whether you’re building a brand-new campaign or adding a new tactic to an existing campaign, you’ll start off by clicking “New Campaign/New Tactic” on the Terminus Dashboard. You’ll then be directed to the New Campaign & Tactic Builder.
New Campaign & Tactic Builder
The first step in the campaign builder is to either create a new campaign/add a new tactic to an existing campaign or choose to use the old Campaign Builder in order to copy a tactic from an existing tactic.
Build your Campaign
Once you have clicked into the Campaign/Tactic builder, you can begin creating your new campaign/tactic as well as selecting the audience.
- Create new campaign will allow you to launch a brand-new campaign. You’ll begin building the first tactic of that campaign in the next step.
- Add to existing campaign will give you the option to add a tactic to an existing campaign. Once you select a campaign to add the tactic to, you will have the option to create a new tactic. If you would like to copy a tactic from an existing tactic, please go back to the previous page and select 'use the old Campaign Builder instead".
- Campaign Name – Enter the name of the campaign that the tactic you are building will be a part of.
- Tactic Name – Enter a name for your tactic. This will be different than the campaign name and will help you identify separate tactics within the campaign.
In this step, you will select the source for your Terminus audience – either Salesforce or a csv list upload – which you will use to identify the accounts to target for this tactic. When building your list of accounts, keep in mind that there is a maximum of 500 active accounts that can be in any one tactic at a given time. If you’re not quite sure where to start with segmenting your accounts, refer to Step 2 in the How to Get Started with Terminus guide.
If you select the Salesforce option, you’ll use the Salesforce audience builder to create rules that identify target accounts.
You can build your audience from the Campaign, Leads, Accounts, or Opportunities Salesforce objects. Using standard or custom Salesforce fields on these objects, you can create rules to build your list of accounts to target. As data changes in your Salesforce instance, the audiences will be automatically updated. For example, if you target Opportunities where Stage = Demo, then all the accounts in the Demo Stage will be targeted. As the Opportunity Stage is changed, accounts will be automatically added or removed.
You will also be able to define progression rules, a key measure of success in Terminus. You should set a progression rule to capture positive account progression in the marketing and sales process. For example, if you are targeting accounts where Status = Net-New, you might want to set the progression rule to Created Opportunities > 0 to capture all of the accounts that are converted to sales opportunities from this tactic.
CSV List Upload
If you select list upload, you will be prompted to upload a list of accounts in a .CSV file format that is less than 200kb and contains fewer than 500 rows. You will need to ensure that there are two columns: one titled Company Name that contains all of the names of the accounts you wish to target and one titled Company URL with all of the websites associated with those accounts. You will also have the option to manually input Company Names and URLs. If you have any questions about formatting your Excel file for upload, please contact your CSM or email@example.com.
On this page, you define which personas within your target accounts will be served ads from this tactic.
First, you will select the specific department(s) you wish to target or whole company. Within department options, Terminus also provides the option to target Company C-Suite and Company VPs. Selecting one of these two options will target the C-Suite and/or VPs across all departments in the company and is not impacted by other department selections.
Next, you will select whether you want to target all people within the selected department(s) or use Seniority Targeting. Learn more about the levels of targeting in Terminus in this article.
Lastly, you will choose if you wish to expand to the entire company if Terminus cannot find at least one cookied device to target based on your previous selections. If you select "Yes, expand to company", Terminus will expand to the whole company only if we cannot find any cookied devices at the seniority and/or department level. If you select "No", Terminus will not expand to the entire company, even if it cannot find any cookied devices at the seniority and/or department level.
Budget & Duration
In this step, you will input additional information to finalize your tactic.
- Budget– When you set your budget, you can select a daily budget for the tactic and a total budget. You can also set a per-account spend limit on each tactic. To do this or get recommendations on budget, contact your CSM or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Duration– Set the duration for the tactic – either indefinitely or until a specific end date.
You will be able upload new ad creatives for your tactic or select previously uploaded creatives from your Creative Ad Library.
- Upload Creative– Upload all the creative files for the different ad sizes you wish to use. Check out our Creative Guidelines which include all the supported ad sizes and formats as well as the most popular sizes. You will also be asked to include the destination URL for each ad, which is the landing page you want people to go to when they click on the ad. To learn more about ad campaign creative best practices, watch the recording from our Terminus Live Training webinar.
- Browse Ad Library– In order to use ad creatives that have been previously uploaded, click on ‘Browse Ad Library’ and you will see all previously uploaded ads populate. The ads can be filtered by Name and size and can be sorted by newest/oldest.
Discard Tactic and Create a Draft
At the bottom of every page you will see an option to ‘Discard Tactic’ and this will allow you to discard/delete the tactic you are currently building. You are also able to save a tactic as a draft in order to revisit it at a different time.
- Cancel – selecting ‘Cancel’ after clicking on ‘Discard Tactic’ will cancel the request to discard the tactic.
- Confirm – selecting ‘Confirm’ will confirm that the tactic should be discarded, and a draft WILL NOT be saved of the tactic.
- Navigating away from the page while creating a tactic will automatically save the tactic as a draft. You will then be able to see your tactic in ‘draft’ status in the Campaign Overview page.
In this step, you will review all your selections, including the name of the campaign, the audience and targeting options, and other settings such as budget and ad creative
Hit submit and your part is done! Your campaign is then sent to Terminus to be reviewed and launched. The review includes the matching and validation process conducted by our in-house advertising operations team as well as verification from ad networks, which can take up to 72 hours.
If you have any questions about launching a Terminus campaign, please reach out to your CSM or contact email@example.com.